Blinds can make or break the look of a room! Not only are blinds needed for privacy, but they can also be a decorative tool to make your home look top-notch.
Budget Blinds, Home Depot, and Lowe’s are all popular choices for blind purchasing and installation. Budget Blinds is a franchise operation that specializes in in-home consultations, and custom blinds. Lowe’s and Home Depot are both big box stores that offer a variety of brands, sizes, and types of blinds, as well as installation services.
Table of Contents
What Can I Expect at Budget Blinds?
Budget Blinds is a franchise-based business with locations across North America. They offer a variety of blinds, shades, shutters, and drapes. There are over 1,400 franchise locations that service 10,000 cities.
Budget Blinds started in California in 1992. Since then, they have been ranked as the number one window coverings franchise.
Budget Blinds only sells their own brand of blinds. There is not much information about where the blinds are manufactured. They have six different collections or varieties of blinds within their group.
Budget Blinds offers an in-home or virtual consultation if you are within their selling area. They will design, measure, and install the blinds.
- There are many locations across the country.
- A consultation, measuring, and installation are available.
- They offer virtual consultations.
- There are many positive customer reviews on ConsumerAffairs.
- Budget Blinds are generally more expensive than Home Depot or Lowe’s.
- Not all homes will be within a serviceable area.
- Warranties and service vary from location to location.
- Service standards may be inconsistent due to the franchise structure.
- Only one brand of blinds is available.
- Not all franchises feature a showroom.
What Can I Expect at Home Depot?
There is a Home Depot in almost every city. They boast over 2,200 stores in North America! Home Depot carries a wide variety of blinds available in pre-cut styles, cut in-store, or custom sizes. You can stroll into your local store for a hands-on experience or order online. Check out the blind ordering worksheet with measurement instructions on the website.
Home Depot carries several brands of blinds, like Kirsch, Bali, Levolor, Home Decorators Collection, Hampton Bay, MyBlinds, and Veneta.
Home Depot offers design service, online ordering, measuring, custom blind ordering, and installation services.
- Many locations are available!
- There are a wide variety of brands and designs.
- Installation and design services are offered.
- There is an option to cut the blinds in the store.
- There are often sales.
- Financing options are available with the Home Depot credit card.
- Home Depot has complaints about poor customer service.
- They use a third-party installation service.
What Can I Expect at Lowe’s?
And, now for the competition… Lowe’s! Lowe’s also has about 2,200 stores throughout North America. At Lowe’s, you can order custom shades or pick from a variety of in-stock blinds. In-home measurement for the blinds is available for a fee as well.
Installation services are available with a 1-year labor guarantee. Lowe’s also offers a price match guarantee which may come in handy if you are looking for a bargain!
Lowe’s carries blinds and shades by Allen + Roth, Levolor, Bali, Coolaroo, and Project Source.
Lowe’s carries a variety of in-stock blinds and offers free pick-up services. They also offer custom blinds with measurement and installation services. Precision blind cutting is available in the store.
- Lowe’s has a price match guarantee.
- There are many store locations.
- They offer a variety of brands and styles.
- There are frequent sales.
- Financing options and discounts are available with Lowe’s credit card.
- Measurement and installation services are available.
- In-store blind cutting is available.
- Lowe’s has many positive customer reviews.
- In-home measurement has a fee.
- They use third-party installation services.
Budget Blinds has 4.0/5 stars with 144 ratings on Consumer Affairs. Customers appreciated the level of customer service and the quality of installation. Several reviews mention that mistakes were dealt with promptly. The blinds were described as “rich”, “wonderful”, and “perfect”.
There are several complaints about the timeliness and professionalism of the in-home sales reps. Other customers mentioned that it took a long time to receive their blinds.
According to Home Depot’s website, 78% of their customers would recommend Home Depot’s blind installation service. The satisfied customers were appreciative of knowledgeable staff and professional installers. Most customers seem to be satisfied with the quality of the blinds
Dissatisfied customers complained about customer service and difficulties with the third-party installation companies. Other complaints revolved around communication issues with the store, the customers, and the installation companies.
According to Top Consumer Reviews, Lowe’s gets 4.0 out of 5 stars for its blinds and installation services. Many customers are happy with the huge amount of blind options available at Lowe’s. Others appreciate the prices and the price-match guarantee.
Complaints include disappointment over the lack of measuring and installation instructions and a lack of options for custom sizing. Other complaints were about the third-party installation company and communication issues with the store and installers.